Saturday, November 18, 2006

My Kiosk Experiences: Wii vs PS3

Well, today I decided to go to the store and give a whirl at the two hottest next gen systems, the Wii and the Playstation 3. First stop was Target. They had the PS3 there to play, and I was pumped. They had MotorStorm in and I was all set.

The controller was amazing the first time I picked it up. It just had an awesome feel to it, and the fact that it was familiar was another plus. I picked a vehicle and a course and got ready to go. Loading took a little while, but overall the load times weren't bad. I waiting for the race to start and then I was off. The graphics looked absolutely amazing, with the scenery and the vehicles looking gorgeous. I tried racing first with the analog stick, and it was fairly easy, but I wasn't too good at the game. Half way through I decided to switch and use the tilt sensitivty. This was more enjoyable, but much more sensitive and difficult. I failed miserably at this game.

Next, I decided to try a nice little bike race on MotorStorm. I found this a lot more fun, and also simpler. Overall, the game was pretty good, but isn't too beginner friendly.

I tried to go back to XMB, but couldn't figure out how. The PS Button, did not allow me to. I know what the XMB is like however, based on my PSP experiences, and I love it.

After this, it was off to Gamestop to try the Wii. After my dad handed over his license, the controller was mine. It surprised me how small and light it was. I fired up and the console and saw the menu. It was nice and simple, but I prefer the XMB. I am not too steady with my hands, so navigated the menu was a challenge. I decided to jump right into Excite Truck. The loading times were great and in a matter of 5 seconds or so, I was into the menu. I picked a race track, a vehicle, color, and then it was time to begin. Fast loading times were definately a plus.

And so...the race began. It was nice, simple, and fun. Although, the graphics were not high def, they still were quite nice, and I enjoyed them. I enjoyed all the little powerups and extras added into the game. I played two races and definately enjoyed the experience better than MotorStorm. It was much easier to pick up and play, and much more enjoyable.

After that, I decided to explore the Wii menu. I figured I would create a Mii. Navigating the Mii Creation was difficult and took some time, to get used to pointer and choosing everything. It was neat to make a virtual identity however. There wasn't much to do with the Mii, so I just decided to reture to the main menu. From there, I just checked out the daily message function, by checking out how much the system had been played.

Overall, I enjoyed the Wii more. I would have to try more games, to figure out which one truly is better, but the Wii definately is FUN, and that's what matters. The fact that it is cheap and affordable, is another plus. Today was a great day.

No comments: